What's new in OverSite™ 4?
OverSite is easily the most advanced wireframe and interaction design software you can buy. And now, it's gotten easier and even more advanced... because the long-awaited version 4 has finally been released! OverSite 4 gives you the features you've been asking for, while improving usability and performace. Let's have a look at some of what's new...
New ComponentsWhen it comes down to it, you're creating wireframes. And wireframes are made of components. And while you can use composites to simulate pretty much any type of component imaginable, let's face it; the more components we provide, the better. That's why we've added more components. Some are simple components, like our new Spinner. Some are complex containers, like our new tabbed pane. But all are designed to help you quickly mock up whatever UI elements you'll need to.
More New ComponentsWe're particularly fond of one new component, the dialog component. This container simulates whatever dialog or popup window your UI might require, complete with titlebar and drop shadow! And while you can of course add your own components to the dialog, OverSite offers a few dialog templates—such as alerts, prompts, and file choosers—to help you avoid even more work.
ClipartOverSite has always allowed you to import your own images to place into wireframes. But odds are, you've had to import images for the same icons again and again. So, why not just build some of the icons commonly found on the web, right into OverSite? Introducing OverSite's Clipart Library, which allows you to place representations of common web icons and images—including arrows, media, email, charts and graphs, maps, social networking site logos, etc.—right in your wireframe. Best of all, all clipart is vector-based, so you can resize them to your heart's delight.
Stylized Spreadsheet CellsYou asked, and OverSite answered. You can now stylize individual cells in a spreadsheet component. Now rather than representing a basic table, your spreadsheet component can simulate headers, column indices, active cells, and more.
Wireframe Background ColorsSometimes, white is just a little too bland. Even though they're just wireframes, some pages just need a background color. Now they can have one, with OverSite's new Background Color command. Furthermore, OverSite lets you specify whether to colorize just the current page's area, or any area that might have been inherited from parent sections.
Export Custom Styles, Composites, and ColorsWe know. You spend a lot of time setting up the styles that you're going to use, create composites to reuse in your wireframe, and recreating your corporate color pallete as custom colors. So why do it again for your next project? Now, you can simply export any or all of those elements and import them into subsequent projects, or share them with colleagues.
Autocropping Wireframe CanvasesIt can be tough to get your wireframe canvas sizes just right. One pixel too small, and you might lose part of a component. One pixel too big, and you might inadvertantly wind up with an annoying gap. Good news. Now, OverSite will crop your canvases for you! Just use the new Autocrop Canvas command, and viola! OverSite will resize your canvas to exactly fit your components—no bigger, no smaller. And as handy as that sounds for wireframe canvases, it's even handier when you're creating composites!
Notes Side PanelIt's not just the wireframe panel that's been getting love with this release. All of the other tabs have been getting spruced up as well. For example, the notes panel is sporting a new side editor pane, just like the wireframe panel! Edit those notes, identifiers, and component types without dropping a beat. And as with the wireframe panel, if you don't want to use the side editor pane, you can detach it or just collapse it out of the way.
But wait! There's more... lots more!
- Added ability to group components for easy multi-editing.
- Adding padding controls for text components.
- Composites editor now has controls for duplicating existing composites.
- Added the ability to import and export text variables in CSV format.
- Checkboxes and radio button widgets are now rendered at a fixed size.
- Added component size controls to layout side edit panel.
- Added component visibility controls to layout side edit panel.
- Added a side edit panel to the notes view.
- Can now toggle off blank notes.
- Notes identifiers are now assigned more sequentially.
- More intelligent sorting in the notes view.
- Made wireframe component listing panel a bit more usable.
- When zoomed out and a file is closed, the wireframe canvas' zoom is returned to 100%.
- Fonts can now be adjusted in the click-thru view's auto-generated nav.
- File dialogs on the Mac are now more "Mac-like".
- Contextual menus now work as expected on the Mac.
- When creating a page, entering a filename with no extension now generates a warning.
- Multiple instances of the same composite can now be added to a scrollpane.
- Rearranged the wireframe contextual menu items to make more sense.
- Exceptions control is now disabled when the root node is selected.
- Cleaned up the Notes toolbar.
- Wireframe and Notes side editors collapsing is now animated.
- After deleting a grouping border, the grouping-border page layout controls now become disabled.
- Grouped some actions into submenus in the page layout contextual menu.
- "New Page" and "New Section" now remember the last settings.
- When a spreadsheet is selected but so is another component, the spreadsheet controls will still be enabled.
- Registration now longer requires an email address to be entered.
- Renamed "Grouping" to "Border".
- When in a version's wireframe, clicking on rearranged components now causes the proper component to be selected.
- Fixed a memory issue that arose in files with many composites.
- Fixed a memory issue that arose when switching projects.
- Fixed an issue where nested containers were sometimes not read back in correctly.
- Fixed some issues when editing containers in a zoomed wireframe canvas.
- Fixed a problem with clickable imagemaps when invisible components were obscuring other linked components.
- Fixed the rendering of version href link indicators on the Mac.
As always, OverSite runs on Windows and Mac OSX, as well as any other platform with a Java Runtime Environment (including Solaris and Linux.)
Download the latest version of OverSite.
Register your copy of OverSite.
View screenshots of OverSite in action.
View release notes describing improvements made to OverSite releases.
Find answers to frequently asked questions.