StubHub, San Francisco, CA
Senior Engineer (9/06 - present)
StubHub allows sports, concert and theater fans to buy and sell tickets online, and is based in San Francisco, California. I was hired by StubHub to help the company as it transitioned first from Cold Fusion to a custom Java framework, and later from that framework to a more industry-standard Java stack.
- Led a team in developing the company's first set of Web Services using a Hibernate/Spring/CXF technology stack.
- Created a solution to allow certain transactions to be "auto-confirmed" using Java Messaging Service (JMS) and Apache ActiveMQ.
- Led a team in architecting and developing tools to locate the current best-priced ticket listings based on historical data.
- Wrote functionality to index and search ticket and logistics information using Java, Lucene/Solr, XML/XPath, and Oracle.
- Mentored junior developers in the use of StubHub's custom-built Java framework.
Bellamax, San Francisco, CA
Senior Engineer (10/05 - 8/06)
I was hired by Bellamax, an innovator in photo-enhancement software, to help develop the company's first desktop software application.
- Developed various user interface elements using Java Swing.
- Created and maintained editing tools within the application, including the application's crop and straighten tool.
- Developed SOAP-based functionality to allow batch photo uploads to popular Web sites like Snapfish and Shutterfly.
- Designed and created the application's printing and exporting functionality from scratch.
- Wrote additional photo enhancement code using the Java Advanced Imaging API (JAI).
- Demonstrated the software to potential customers at tradeshows.
- Performed graphic design and user interface design for the application.
iCentric Corp., Boulder, CO
Lead Developer (7/04 - 8/05)
I was hired by iCentric, a Boulder-based mobile social-networking software start-up, as the company's lead developer and architect. My roles ranged from software product specification, software architecture, end-to-end software development, and additional tasks related to marketing and branding.
- Developed the majority of the company's social-networking Website using Java servlets/JSP/SQL as well as Enterprise Java Beans.
- Designed and developed framework for the Web application responsible for handling cellphone requests.
- Designed and developed location-based software for GPS- and Java-enabled cellphones.
- Designed and developed location-based software for GPS- and BREW-enabled cellphones.
- Developed a WAP/XHTML version of the company's social networking Website.
- Created server/database product specifications for the company's enterprise applications.
- Developed numerous standalone Java applications to support the company's efforts.
- Managed other programmers working on the Web application.
- Initiated and led many of the company's product branding efforts.
EDS, Lakewood, CO
Consultant Senior (10/00 - 7/04)
I was sought and hired by the Denver Solutions Centre of EDS after I decided to relocate to Colorado. During my employment with EDS, I worked onsite for two of EDS's clients, never failing to exceed the client's expectations. While the tools I have used with my EDS projects have included PERL, WebObjects and Objective-C, my primary environment has been the Java 2 Platform. I had worked extensively with Java 2 Enterprise Edition, and developed numerous web-based applications employing Java Servlets and JSP, XML, Java Messaging Service, and Oracle 9.
- Designed/developed a version-control system using RMI, Java Servlets/JSP/SQL.
- Designed/developed a reporting and trending application using Java Servlets/JSP/SQL.
- Designed/developed a tree view into a knowledge database using Java Servlets, JSP, SQL.
- Designed/developed a Java applet that allows real time tracking product status.
- Created and taught courses on J2ME, and XML/SAX parsing to client and co-workers.
- Managed client account and served as liaison between EDS and client.
- Used PERL to develop a tool that allows system admins to retrieve necessary patches for their servers.
- Developed features of an online billing system using Objective-C and WebObjects.
- Served as EDS contact for many of EDS's clients, and worked to nurture EDS/client relationships.
Creditland, San Francisco, CA
Lead Web Developer, (7/99 - 9/00)
Originally hired as a senior-level contract Web developer, I was later hired full-time. My work was originally done in PERL and PHP. In addition to programming duties, I was involved in design, illustration, and online marketing programs. When Creditland switched to Java and JSP, I focused most of my time with Java Server Pages and back-end Enterprise Java Beans. While at first I spent nearly 100% of my time programming, more developers and contractors were hired and I moved into a team lead position. By the time I left, I was spending half of my time programming, half managing.
- Implemented the site's Auto Loan, Personal Loan, Credit Card and Mortgages section.
- Developed back-end JavaBeans and EJB components.
- Redesigned corporate Web site to meet various internal needs in an aesthetically-pleasing manner.
- Mentored, supervised and art directed internal team of developers.
- Administered the Web Development team's development server environment, which included UNIX/Linux servers, WebLogic application and EJB server, Apache Web server, Resin JSP/Servlet/XML engine.
- Worked on cross-functional teams to develop business and marketing plans.
NIA Interactive, Mountain View, CA
Technical Director, (8/98 - 7/99)
I was hired by NIA Interactive for two reasons. For my marketing and entrepreneurial skills, I was hired to help start up a Web and Interactive design firm. My technical Web experience lead to my heading up the company's technical division. During my year at NIA, I served many roles, including salesperson and client liaison, executive management and, of course, programming. The vast number of projects that I was involved in helped me to vastly expand my technical repertoire.
- Managed technical development of client Web sites
- Managed internal and external programming and design staff.
- Authored portions of video- and CDROM-based multimedia pieces, including composing/producing music.
- Wrote proposals, generated leads, and managed client accounts.
- Marketed, developed business plan for, and generated new business for emerging multimedia development firm.
Quantum Corporation, Milpitas, CA
Electronic Communications Specialist, (12/96 - 8/98)
I was first hired by Quantum as a temporary employee, focused on the corporate newsletter. Soon after, the Electronic Communications Department hired me away. Originally, I was hired to manage the site's content, but soon proved my skills in design and programming. By the end of my time at Quantum, I was responsible for the company's entire corporate Website.
- Maintained entire corporate Web site.
- Created a number of CGI applications to support promotions.
- Created original graphics and artwork for the site.
- Helped to develop corporate Extranet, Intranet, and E-Commerce sites.
- Developed numerous new sections for the site, including Press Center, Investor Center, and Graphics Library.
- Maintained monthly homepage features for the site.
- Served on corporate branding team.
Quantum Corporation (through Kelly Svcs), Milpitas, CA
Project Manager, (9/96 - 12/96)
- Managed the corporate newsletter.
- Managed the graphic design firm that developed the newsletter.
- Wrote and edited marketing collateral and numerous articles.
- Created graphics and images.
- Placed the corporate newsletter on the company's internal Web site.
Lam Research Corporation, Fremont, CA
Advertising and Direct Marketing Specialist, (1/96 - 8/96)
- Launched a new corporate-wide advertising campaign.
- Implemented several advertising and direct mail programs to support product launches.
- Managed the corporation's advertising agency.
- Designed and wrote advertisements and direct mail pieces.
- Designed and created graphics for the corporate Web site.
- Wrote and designed material for the internal corporate Web site.
- Developed a maintenance program for the corporation's global database of customers.
Anagram Visual Communications, San Francisco, CA
Creative Director/Partner, (11/94 - 12/96)
While finishing graduate school in Colorado, I was asked to help form a small advertising agency based in California. I joined as the company's advertising agency, and soon took on additional roles, including that of Web developer and client liaison.
- Assisted in a company start-up.
- Performed campaign planning and copywriting.
- Contacted clients and managed accounts.
- Managed the company's graphic designer.
- Designed and laid out advertisements, brochures, sell sheets and Web sites.
- Wrote press releases and articles.
- Coordinated printing activities.
- Purchased media and negotiated rates.